Thursday, March 24, 2011

Kate Glynn sits down with interviewer Amy Chan

(Atlanta, GA):

Q1: Why are you running & why should people vote for you?
A1: I offer a unique perspective in that I am both a mom (concerned with education, public safety etc.) and a veteran (vested in veterans' affairs, national security etc.) At this time, when the U.S. faces two wars and a crumbling economy that we are trying to reignite, it's important that leaders have developed perspectives on both.
---
Q2: If elected, what will your first policy priority be?
A2: That is a great question. I certainly have policy priorities of my own, but what matters is not MY priority, but the priority of our citizens. That is why, over the next few weeks, I will spend a lot of time listening, so I can figure out what "OUR" policy priority, not "mine" but "our", should be.
---
Q3: How will you overcome bipartisanship in DC? How will you "please both camps" unlike President Obama, who has been criticized by both the left and right?
A3: Another great question. I certainly don't pretend to have a magic want to cure the bipartisanvitriol that is the norm in DC. But I do think that I am unique in by ability to speak to both camps. As a veteran, I am equally comfortable speaking to more "hawkish" elements, as well as those concerned with social justice issues like marriage equality (I don't remember the exact phrasing, but she mentions marriage equality in her question). It will be a long road, but I believe I'm uniquely qualifiedto take it.
---
Q4: you campaign announcement talked about the many dangers the U.S. faces. Do you really believe that?
A4: Our campaign is about expanding the definition of "national security." The traditional definition assumes national security = guns & bombs, but the questions I pose are:
- is a nation truly secure, when it is failing to educate our children?
- is a nation truly secure, when it is reliant on old technology and polluting fuels that make it dependent on other nations?
Our announcement may have appeared a bit darker than we intended, because the "national security" we envision goes far beyond the traditional definition.
---
Q5: Your campaign announcement also talked about "killing those who intend us harm." Does this mean that you agree with the aggressive U.S. foreign policy, and will support assertive interventions overseas?
A5: No. As commander in chief, my first priority will be to ensure the safety and security of the American people. I will use whatever force necessary, lethal force if required, to guarantee that. But that does not mean that I will will-nilly expend American lives and military treasure overseas in pursuit of some foreign policy goals. When the necessity arises, I will not hesitate, but I think that any president will tell you that military force is their LAST, not first option.

No comments:

Post a Comment